Thursday, June 18, 2009

pedestrians yield, cars have the right of way

Xi’an
One of my favorite parts about traveling is the people you meet. Everyone has a unique story to tell with a different path and final destination. The travelers you meet are all bold adventurers, the likes of Robertson Crusoe. Their shadows slip in and out of your life, and all you are left with are stories you wish you were a part of. But while they are in your company, you laugh at the miscommunications you have experienced, compare cultural observations, and impress each other with the crazy food you’ve tried. The topic that comes up most often is the Chinese style of driving. Just about everyone agrees that the roads are a chaotic zoo, and crossing a street is an adrenaline pumping thrill. “Be predictable” is the best advice I’ve received. I am sure there are traffic regulations, but no one seems to be concerned with them, including the police officers who lounge on the side of the road. To cross a six lane road, you have to focus on one lane at a time. Once you sneak across one lane, you stand on the white line that divides the lanes (there is no concrete meridian). As cars swerve around you, you watch for the next opening. This seems to be a very common practice, and no one shits their pants from fright, nor do they honk their horn at you for being a lunatic.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I thought we had it bad in New Brunswick, but crossing the street there sounds like an extreme sport...please, please don't get flattened on a Chinese highway!!
    Not much is going on around here - I'm looking for a job because I realized that I can't go an entire summer without income. No luck yet but I'm trying to stay optimistic. Disney Day is Saturday! We'll take lots of pictures so you can enjoy our crazies from afar :)
    I'm glad you're having fun on your adventures - miss you and I'll keep checking your posts!

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete