I take a ferry across the waters to Lantau Island from where I board a bus that meanders through the mountains. We rollercoaster our way to the Big Buddha. He sits there above the sea, overlooking the island like its guardian, in perpetual meditation. I think he is mesmerized by the beauty.
I take a ten minute walk through the forest to see the Wisdom Path. I am the only visitor. I see two dogs down a secluded trail coming back from a hike. I look for their owner, but no one is there. My breathing quickens.
I sit down at the Po Lin Monastery CafĂ©. They tell me they are most known for their bean curd dessert, so I try it. I receive a bowl filled with half a package of tofu floating in liquid. At least this will be healthy I murmur. The tofu is delicate and silky; with the slightest touch of the tongue it yields and becomes pudding. The liquid is a sweet broth of honey and ginger. I’ve never enjoyed tofu quite this much. I am content with my discovery.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment