Monday, June 15, 2009

Take me back to HK NOW!!!!!!

I thought HK would be a good transition from the US to China, but now I am experiencing culture shock mixed with disbelief of actually being here. From my bus window I see a few places I recognize from my first trip to Beijing. I feel like I am looking at my photos and remembering vivid memories, not actually experiencing new events. Beijing is dreary and bleak compared to the colors and lights of HK. There is a visible lack of wealth here, but no shortage of dirt. Every moment I find myself using my elbows just to secure a spot in line. Except there is no line, just an aggressive mob pushing to be first.

The fun part is speaking in Mandarin, and best of all, being understood! I don’t know how I survived here two years ago, because my primitive language skills have already proved invaluable.

It seems not much has change in Beijing’s culture, or at least, I have not out grown my naiveté. I have already been tricked into paying for a girl’s bus ticket. Before we boarded, I asked her how much a ticket cost. On the bus while I was looking for my wallet, she must have told the bus driver that I was paying for her, without me noticing. The bus driver asked me for double the price. I thought the girl must have made a mistake, but then the bus driver handed me two receipts. 3 hours in Beijing and I have already been fooled! (Luckily it was only $0.12 US dollars, but it is the deception that angers me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment